Rolling fields of golden grain, small roads lined with olive trees and vineyards, and hills topped with medieval fortresses and church towers. This has been the scenic backdrop for three weeks of experiencing Tuscany. I was lucky to start my time in Tuscany with two Servas hosts—one a woman and her daughter my age in Pisa and then a couple who live near a small village called Collesalvetti.
 |
| Dusk at Paolo and Rita's place |
I really enjoyed the company of my first host, Meri, a lovely and interesting woman, and her daughter Ilaria in Pisa. When they were busy, I explored Pisa and ran along the scenic Arno River and when they were free, Meri took me for a night walk in the town, to the beach for an afternoon along with Ilaria, and to visit some beautiful historic sites and churches in the countryside outside of Pisa.
 |
| A fresco in Certosa di Calci outside Pisa |
From Pisa, I headed to Collesalvetti to stay with a couple named Paolo and Rita in their beautiful home on a hill in the countryside. Their home is surrounded by iconic Tuscan scenery—golden grain fields dotted with cypress trees, country homes surrounded by vineyards and vegetable gardens, and blooming sunflowers. Rita and Paolo took me along with them for a 10km walk in nearby forest reserves both evenings; Rita showed me nearby medieval castles; and Paolo let me help prune grapevines with him one morning in their small vineyard. I was lucky to get a taste of their lovely life (as well as Rita's wonderful Tuscan cooking with almost everything from their garden) while staying with them.
 |
| Paolo and Rita |
 |
| Headed for a walk |
 |
| Around Paolo and Rita's |
After these two visits, I joined a family to help with their two young kids for two weeks. Their place down the hill from the medieval hilltop village of Montecarlo was the perfect place to gain a home and a family for two weeks, and soak up the beautiful Tuscan life. I had thought they needed help in their gardens and with their children's English, but it turned out their biggest need at this time of year is someone to help look after their kids some of the time. And in the end, I think they ended up teaching me more Italian than I taught them English!
 |
| Giona and Nora |
 |
| Passeggiata with Zia Tonia |
 |
| Nora with cousin Folco |
 |
| Evening passeggiata in Castelvecchio |
 |
| Castelvecchio |
I really enjoyed being part of the family, spending time with Giona and Nora, and exploring in the days off that the family generously gave me. In those days, I visited Florence, Lucca, Montecarlo, and Pescia and biked around the beautiful agricultural countryside surrounding their place. Staying with the family gave me the chance to experience Tuscan life—spending time in the ceramics shops in Lucca where Ilaria, the mother, works; visiting their extended family in a beautiful hilltop village called Castelvecchio; and enjoying all the fresh vegetables, fruits, and perfect olive oil of the region.
 |
| Morning running buddy :) |
 |
| Bike ride to Montecarlo |
 |
| Streets of Montecarlo |
 |
| View from Montecarlo Fortress |
 |
| Florence |
 |
| David |
Italy is a place I certainly dream to return. I'll be finishing my time in this wonderful country in Bologna before heading to Romania to explore and help on a property in the countryside. The other place I had lined up to help had to cancel at the last minute, so I'll hopefully be filling that time with some exploring and hiking!
No comments:
Post a Comment