Sunday, July 26, 2015

East to Romania

My introduction to Eastern Europe has come through the peaceful, friendly country of Romania. As with every country, one can only scratch the surface in a few weeks time, and I always realize just how much more there is to a place than I could have imagined. But I am grateful for the time I've had in this special country.


Romania is unique for me compared to any other place I've been. The bigger cities have aspects of European life, but remain unique in their architecture, food, and history. And the countryside is still alive with age-old traditions, where one sees horse-drawn carts and friendly, traditionally dressed older woman in head scarfs of all colours.

I spent my first days exploring old medieval towns in Transylvania and hiking in a beautiful national park called Piatra Craiului before joining a family in a small village to help out for ten days. During my time on my own, I met many kind and generous Romanians who invited me to share food and conversations, and I was touched by their gentleness and warm welcome to their country.

Sharing a meal with Airbnb hosts in Bucharest
Welcomed by friendly Romanians on holiday in Zarnesti

The towns I visited in Transylvania are filled with well-preserved medieval fortresses, city walls, Orthodox churches, and unique castles. It was also the perfect time to begin reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is set in Transylvania and has helped make this region famous worldwide.

Brasov
Life in Brasov
Sighisoara

Romania is filled with natural wonders, too and so much forest. I got the chance to explore one of these places, Piatra Craiului National Park, for two days of hiking, staying one night in a cozy mountain hut. Lower down, the trails passed through peaceful forest filled with birds and in one area there was a huge, sprawling gorge. Higher up, one reaches a 2000-meter limestone ridge, which runs for about 25 kilometers and gives beautiful views of the surrounding valleys. It was nice to get a taste of the natural beauty of Romania, but I really only scratched the surface because this country is filled with forests and many protected areas.

On the ridge

Piatra Craiului Carnation - endemic to the park
Part of the gorge

After exploring, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to stay in one small, traditional village for ten days helping out a woman named Julia and her son George. The small village (less than 100 people) is in the far west of Romania and is perched along a long hill of land that looks out toward the Carpathian Mountains, making for wonderful views from any part of Julia's property or the village.

Nice ride into the village with the neighbours

Julia came from near Bucharest two years ago with the dream of living an eco-friendly, traditional village life. Her neighbours have all been in the village for generations so she has had plenty of inspiration for building up her gardens and property. It's inspiring to see what she has created in only two years with her vegetable, flower, and medicinal plant gardens; self-composting toilet; well-cared-for fruit trees; and an overall special feel to the place with a wooden swing with a beautiful view to have a coffee in the morning and a little tree house to read in when the afternoon gets warm. 

Views from Julia's

Perfect dry composting toilet

Vegetables surrounded by flowers

Reading spot

Julia lives off the proceeds from selling medicinal plants and excess vegetables and fruits, and from making handmade natural soaps, jams, and tuica (Romania's most popular liquor made from apples). She works closely with her neighbour Pavel and his daughter Sonia; has another Romanian boy from the city staying for the summer; and is hosting two other volunteers, a girl from the Netherlands and a guy from France, right now. It's made for a nice little "family" here the past days with lots of nice times working together and sharing all-natural, delicious meals and good laughs.

Sonia, Pavel, George, and Julia

Traditional method for hay

Picking wild berries



I learned a lot from Julia, who is a very warm and open-minded person, in my ten days helping in the gardens and with her projects, and really enjoyed exploring the nearby forests and hillsides in my free time. A special time of day was morning when I could wake up and go for a run or do some exercises and then sit quietly on a swinging bench having coffee with a beautiful view of the Carpathian Mountains; with the neighbour's cows calling out nearby and the sounds of roosters crowing and birds singing; and the cooler morning air and morning light making the place feel and look magical.


Morning coffee spot

I'll be leaving Julia's place inspired with many ideas from her eco-friendly way of life, and refreshed from spending time in this peaceful village where age-old traditions still live on.

My next Eastern stop is Bulgaria, where I'm headed to help a couple, who's expecting a baby, on their property and then do some exploring.

I hope your summer is going well, too! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment