Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Old Friends, New Friends


I knew visiting Joanne in Pasadena, California would be a great idea before heading to New Zealand. I was excited to meet her new little Jonah and knew visiting with Joanne would be the perfect transition between lifestyles. I didn't realize that it would also give me a chance to lighten my load. After feeling weighed down by my two heavy packs on a bus and train from the airport to Pasadena, I decided to pare things down even further. From Pasadena, I shipped two packages of belongings back to my parents. My packs are lighter and my back is happier.

Lunch with Joanne and Jonah
 
New Zealand and I have made friends very quickly. From the morning I arrived, I've been stunned every day so far by the dramatic, green, hilly landscapes and beautiful views of the ocean and rivers. I've been fortunate to meet wonderful people already as well. The first place I went was an orchard with many types of trees in Kohukohu (in the Northland region of the North Island). Another WWOOFer—a 23-year old French-Canadian named Pascale who's been traveling for more than two years—and I arrived the same day. Pascale and I stayed five days with Alec and his dog Rococo, helping with different projects like clearing tall grasses around trees, laying gravel on the property's dirt roads, and starting a new compost pile. Pascale and I stayed in small caravans on his huge poperty and the three of us enjoyed all our meals together.

Pascale, Alec, and Rococo

Clearing a bed of weeds

Moving weeds to start a new compost bed

Coincidentally, Pascale and I were headed to the same farm next, so between our two stays, we took two days to explore a beautiful area called Hokianga Harbour. We hitched rides (common practice in these parts) to several small villages as well as a national park called Waipoua Forest, home to the world's second largest tree—a kauri tree called Tane Mahuta (Lord of the Forest). While hitching, we were picked up by a local candidate for mayor who even treated us to mussel chowder and tea along the way! We stayed at a lovely hostel nestled above the harbour. The couple, Lois and Nils, keeps cows, sheep, and an organic garden. We enjoyed exploring the surrounding forests and the sprawling property and making simple meals in the hostel, which we had entirely to ourselves as it's early Spring and tourist season has not yet started in the region. On Sunday, Lois brought us to her small church in Rawene, where we joined for the service and the church lunch afterward.

View of Omapere
 
Our second farm stay was the ideal WWOOFing experience. We stayed with a Scottish couple named Gail and John who lead an inspiring lifestyle following "permaculture" principals (term coined in Australia describing a branch of ecological / environmental design that develops sustainable agricultural systems). We worked hard for ten days, helping with several projects, like weeding garden beds; laying manure, leaf litter, and dried grass around fruit trees; jarring onions; planting small fruit trees; herding up their small herd of cattle; feeding their animals (chickens, ducks, geese, cows); and more. Along the way, Gail and John taught us about permaculture and how their property is designed to cooperate with natural ecology most effectively and mutually beneficially. (Will share more about permaculture another time!) Our meals during the stay were fantastic with almost everything grown or raised right on their property—all kinds of veggies, homemade sprouted bread, and fresh eggs and yogurt.

Dinner with Pascale, John, and Gail

View above part of John and Gail's property

Currently, I'm spending two days in the seaside town of Paihia, staying with a lovely Scottish woman named Alison who I got connected with through Servas (https://www.servas.org/). Her apartment looks directly out at the ocean. I've been exploring while she's at work, and we're enjoying visiting over dinners together. Tomorrow, I'm off to the next WWOOFing spot on Waiheke Island, a small island just off of Auckland. Heavy rain is forecasted for the next several days so I've got my rain coat ready for a wet weekend of outdoor work.Well, my time is up on the public library computer... Hope all is well with you!

6 comments:

  1. Jewel, one of my daily prayers is for God to send a flight of angels to guide and protect you in your travels; I also ask for an on-going spirit of sharing - sharing you with the world, rather than wanting to keep you among us, here.

    Am excited to get any word or photos from you about your adventures, so keep them coming, please!! Love and miss you, Jewel! Mom (& Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are an inspiration to others to follow their dreams! You are also certainly brave. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying New Zealand so far and have met some wonderful new people. From the pictures above, it looks gorgeous there! It sounds and looks peaceful there. Definitely keep the updates coming, it is great to hear how things are going so far! Miss you dear friend but am happy that you are following your dream!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Miss you, too. Hope all is going well with your transition. Take care and keep in touch!

      Delete
  3. No material things is worth more than this view.
    What an amazing time you are having, I'm sure.
    One day when I sell all my belongings you can guide me on world-travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulina! Let me know if you want to join in at some point :)

      Delete