“If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely
everything is ready, we shall never begin.” ~Ivan Turgenev
It started with a huge stack of travel magazines under my bed as a kid—a dream to travel the world, going to every country along the way. I had it all planned out by high school. I’d get a good job and save enough to retire at 40 and see the world. But, I didn’t get that far…
I didn’t even reach 30 and I won’t likely make it to every country, but for many reasons, the time is right for me to take off now and see a little more of the world. I’ve thought about it long enough, so I’ve sold/given away most of my belongings, stored what’s left at my parents’, and am off to
| Trying to keep everything to two bags |
I can stay in New Zealand
for up to a year on the “Working Holiday” visa I was granted. After that, I may
head to Australia to WWOOF or work there, or else on to Southeast Asia to teach
English, which I became certified to do a number of months ago. Ultimately, I
would like to spend time on every continent, God willing.
| One last bbq before leaving |
It’s surreal to be a few days away from living out my longtime dream and bittersweet at the same time. It is hard to leave unbelievably awesome family, friends, and coworkers and a secure job and life, but I am so grateful to have this opportunity. Thanks to everyone who’s shown support for the trip. Can’t wait to share along the way!
Saying bye to friends for a while
Fun send-off with fun coworkers
.jpg)

Julie !
ReplyDeleteMy friend also dreams of WWOOF-ing and even tried to convince me to go. It sounds amazing beyond words and I hope that this is the experience you have.
Many people dream of doing exactly what you are but few are lucky/brave enough to do it.
Have a wonderful, wonderful time!
Paulina.
Thanks so much, Paulina! I greatly appreciate the well wishes. I hear you've been having fun adventures in Vancouver so far. Wishing you the best out West. Stay in touch, my friend!
ReplyDeleteJulie, it's been such a busy summer that I haven't gotten a chance to connect with you one more time before you take off. I am SO happy and excited for you. Your decision to move forward with your dreams inspires me to pursue mine...hopefully, soon. Wishing you the best as you journey forward to the other side of the world. Keep blogging and keep us posted on your adventures! I will email and keep you posted on mine too. -True
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from you, True. Thanks so much. So far, so good over here. Definitely keep me posted on your adventures as well. Best wishes as you prepare! Take care, Julie
DeleteHi Marlys,
ReplyDeleteThings are going wonderfully..just posted another entry. Everyone has been great so far and some of the accomodations have been rustic, but good and cozy.
Hope all is going well with you. Take care,
Julie