It's true; there really isn't. The cool thing is that there's an infinite number of "homes" for different people in the world. For me, it's Thunder Bay, Ontario and there is nowhere else that has quite the same familiar, grounding feeling when I get there. Driving into Thunder Bay in early February, I was immediately aware of the silence of snowy winter, especially after coming from tropical Sri Lanka where the birds, insects, and ocean waves create a constant background of sound. It also felt like a time warp thinking of all the things that happened between visits home; yet, physically arriving home felt completely normal as if no time had passed.
.jpg) |
| Home |
 |
| Driving to T.Bay |
Of course, the most important part of home is family and friends, and with much of my F&F in Minnesota, "going home" is also being with them... and with awesome friends (like Dana living in Salt Lake City, Joanne from L.A., and Caroline from Charlotte) who flew in from the east and west coasts in the middle of winter for a visit!!
Two days after I arrived in Minnesota, my brother Nolan and sister-in-law Jessie took me out for a nice lunch. Little did I know it was also a diversion from my parents' house where a surprise party was being peopled while we were away. Nolan had somehow tracked down many of my friends, relatives, and former coworkers and asked them to wait at my parents' for our arrival. When I came in the door and looked up the staircase, there were the faces of people from all different parts of my life. The first faces I saw were those of one coworker Tom, my brother's friend Jeff, my sister-in-law's friend Lindsay, and my cousin Ryan, and I couldn't hold back a few tears at the sight of so many familiar, smiling faces. What a treat to get to see them all at once!
 |
| Distraction lunch |
 |
| Great surprise; funny face |
 |
| Wells Fargo friends |
 |
| Wells Fargo buddies |
After a few days in Minnesota, it was time to drive up to Thunder Bay. I'm really grateful for the timing of my friends' Laura and Mark's wedding. It gave me a wonderful reason to come home. Their winter wedding was one of the most beautiful I've ever been to (physically but also because of their special families) and I was so lucky to be there before, during, and after their big day. Being home in Thunder Bay also gave me the perfect chance for quality catch-up time with family and friends.
 |
| Husband and wife |
.jpg) |
| Beautiful bride |
 |
| Celebrate |
.jpg) |
| Spaghetti squash boats |
 |
| Sleepovers with fun buddies |
.jpg) |
| Finger paint date |
Back in Minnesota, I got the chance to hang out, cook, go for walks, and catch up with all my south-of-the-border buddies, and spend quality time with my parents and Nols and Jes. It was fun visiting with my former coworkers (many of whom made it to the surprise party) at Wells Fargo one day, and I was especially happy and honoured that friends from other parts of the country flew in for visits. Visiting with old friends in Thunder Bay and Minnesota after being away for a year and a half made me realize even more how lucky I am to have so many special people in my life.
 |
| Escaping the cold at the conservatory |
.jpg) |
| Winter Reunion |
 |
| Joanne from L.A. braving winter well |
 |
| Hanging with Aurelia |
 |
| Auntie Annie |
 |
| Auntie Jessie |
 |
| Winter walk |
.jpg) |
| Movie night |
While the time home has not felt long enough, I'm grateful for the time I got with everyone. To coax myself away, I'm trying to remember how much I'm looking forward to experiencing more of other peoples' "homes" in this world, especially having never been to Africa, Europe, or South America. In a few days, I'm headed to Morocco and then southern Europe for more homestays and work exchanges. The first is a cultural centre in Morocco where I'll stay with a family and help with their centre and experience life in their village.
Thanks to everyone for the awesome visits while I was home! I'm so fortunate and grateful for your friendship.
It was such a great treat to have you here... as always :) It's like you've never left as it's right back to where we left off. Safe travels and can't wait to hear about the new adventures you'll be having! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Lauren. It was awesome staying with you and getting good visits in. Looking forward to next time already! Take care and keep me posted on your travel plans, too! :)
Delete